HISTORY OF MARKHAM’S MILL
In the early 1930’s the
Walter Markham family built a sawmill in Stewartsville, Virginia named
Markham’s Mill. In 1939 the family added a flour and seed mill. In
1948 a canning factory was added.
The mill was then run as a farm store until it ceased operation in 1990.
The mill sold flour and
feed to various stores in Floyd, Bedford, Campbell, Franklin and Roanoke
Counties. The mill usually had eight employees. During the canning
time the mill would have up to 40 employees. The building has its
original framework and workings. The beams and floors are made from
Since the closing of the
farm store the mill has been utilized by various businesses including
an antique shop and auction house.
Currently the mill houses a primitive, simple goods shoppe known as OLDE MILL PRIMITIVES.
Olde Mill Primitives provides a variety of
* make do’s
* garden goods